- Water the Nation - an euphemism....er...for... releasing...umm... ok its basically just peeing outside since you can't find a toilet anywhere when you're traveling to these remotes places. We "watered the nation" many times during our trip to Northeaster Kenya. I suspect they should be drought-free for a while at least.
- Water the Desert - See above; this happened once we got into Chalbi desert.
- Looking smart - to look good, stylish, dapper, etc.; I didn't know if I should've been offended when I was told I looked smart because I assumed I looked dumb the other days but I finally got it.
- Take - By this I mean I use "take" instead of "have"; I now "take" lunch and I don't "have" lunch
- Kenyan Water - Tusker Beer
- Chips - Fries
- Roasted potatoes - Bigger fries
- Good day - Have a good day
- Now - Later
- 1:30 PM - Tomorrow
- Top-up - To refill credit on your phone
Monday, September 29, 2008
Idioms, phrases and slang, oh my!
Though I'm not completely fluent in Kiswahili yet, I've managed to catch at least the Kenyan English lingos and other idiom: